The Springs Historical Society was established in 1975 to collect and preserve information and material particularly relevant to the Springs area of East Hampton. The Society's headquarters is in the Ambrose Parsons House, listed on the State and National Register of Historic Places, which was willed to the town of East Hampton by Elizabeth Parker Anderson, the last private owner, "to be used as a library for the people of Springs."
In 1980 the town and The Springs Historical Society signed an agreement that the Society would establish and operate a library and the town would maintain the building and grounds. The Society charges an annual library fee and maintains an ongoing booksale in order to purchase new books and library materials. The Library which is in the heart of Springs and overlooks beautiful Accabonac Harbor is staffed entirely by volunteers. The Library collection includes videos, audio tapes, bestsellers, old favorites, marvelous mysteries, the latest large print and an extensive collection of books for children of all ages.
Both the Library and the Historical Society present programs for members and the general public, so watch the "Bubs" (see below) who appear here coutesy of Marvin Kuhn, their creator.
The logo and drawing of the house are courtesy of Gracella Cunkle, a local artist.
The library is open Mondays, Tuesdays, Wednesdays, and Fridays from 10:00 a.m. to noon; Wednesdays from 3:00 p.m. to 5:00 p.m. and Saturdays from 9:00 a.m. to 3:00 p.m. It is closed on Thursdays and Sundays. There's a children's story hour on Saturdays at 10:30 a.m.
Historical Society: $15
Box 1860 East Hampton, NY 11937-1633, US